Tuesday 10 May 2011

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Jerks In Literature



Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish which I am taking part in. 

Bella Swan - Twilight Series by Stephenie Meyer
Bella was also in my top ten mean girls listing, but I also think she classes as a jerk! She was shallow, obnoxious and self-centered and I still can't believe the manner if which she manipulates and messes around both Jacob and Edward. I think she will forever be in any listing of characters that annoy me in someway.

Dudley Dursley - Harry Potter Series by JK Rowling
I had planned on not using any Harry Potter characters in this listing as they seem to pop up everywhere but I just couldn't stop myself with this one. Dudley is just plain irritating, he does get a little better as the series progresses but at the beginning he is the epitomy of every spoiled brat you will ever meet.

Aunt Gertrude - The Hardy Boys Series by Franklin W. Dixon
I have only read one of these books but this woman came across as being a right pain in the backside. She was nosy, interfering and just plain rude! I didn't particularly like the Hardy Boys themselves, but no one deserves this woman for an Aunt.

Daniel Cleaver - Bridget Jones Diary by Helen Fielding
It has been a long time since I read this book, but Daniel Cleaver remains in my memory as being the epitome of everything jerk like!

Tybalt - Romeo & Juliet by William Shakespeare
This guy is a plain jerk, his attempts to get Romeo to fight him are at times almost unbelievable. To be honest, plenty of the other male characters in Romeo & Juliet could easily fall into the jerk category.

Saruman - Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien
This guy should be a great wizard helping defeat evil, instead he decides to turn against everything he has known for a little bit of power.

Jim Rennie - Under The Dome by Stephen King
A disaster befalls a small community and this self-serving townsman puts everyone's lives at risk for his own power and safety. I really couldn't stand this guy when I read the book.

Zil Sperry - Gone Series by Michael Grant
This leader of the "Human Crew" is pretty much a stereotypical racist who hates all the people in the town who have shown mutations and are therefore different. Instead of joining together to fight against the real enemies, he manages to split everyone into different groups.

The Queen of Hearts - Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
This character is quick to rage and gives people the death sentence for the smallest issue. She is a cruel and nasty piece of work.

Jacob - Twilight Series by Stephenie Meyer
I am still not sure why I read this series at times as I seem to hate so many characters in it. Anyway Jacob just won't take no for an answer, I know Bella leads him on and messes him around a lot but the way he acts isn't much better.

12 comments:

  1. Nice list! I had Saruman on my list, but I wish I'd remembered Daniel Cleaver, I've seen him pop up all over the place and he really was an A-class jerk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list! I forgot about Dudley Dursley but I did get Daniel Cleaver.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Queen of Hearts!!! Wonderful! The rest of the list is great, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also picked Daniel Cleaver and Big Jim Rennie for my top ten this week! Great minds think alike I guess. I'm certainly seeing a lot more Heathcliffs and Snapes today than the Big Jims of the literary world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Saruman was a jerk! I had Sauron on mine, but jerk is an understatement with him. And I can't believe I didn't think of Dudley Dursley.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh, I didn't even think of the Queen of Hearts!
    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great list. I completely agree with the Queen of Hearts and Dudley!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, Bella Swan, she deserves to be put on every bad list in the universe.
    Hate her.

    Here's mine:
    http://carabosseslibrary.blogspot.com/2011/05/top-ten-tuesday_10.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some great jerks on your list (if that's not an oxymoron).

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've got Daniel Cleaver on my list too. Never would have thought of Jacob from Twilight as being a jerk but I also didn't read the whole series so maybe I missed that part. Interesting because I've got Edward on my list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish I had thought of Daniel Cleaver. He really pissed me off.

    Check out my list here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Zil Sperry is number 1 jerk on my list. All the choices seem right.

    ReplyDelete